The Hawes family has been ranching and farming in Shasta County for the last five generations.
The family roots trace back to William Haas and Henrietta Jung who emigrated seperately from Germany in the mid-1800’s and met in Shasta County. The couple married in 1876 and changed the spelling of their names to the current spelling — Hawes.
Together the couple farmed more than 1,400 acres near Fort Reading on Cow Creek and the Sacramento River. Hawes ancestors primarily grew dryland wheat, and the family had the first horse drawn grain harvester in Northern California.
The legacy of William and Henrietta is carried on today by Glenn Hawes and his family. In 1977, Glenn and Wanda Hawes decided to open their own feed store. A barn built in 1914 became the general store and is still Hawes headquarters.
In 1994 with the help of their son Greg, they opened a second farm supply store in Red Bluff.
Glenn and Wanda met while attending College at Chico State. They were married in 1964 and had 2 children. They started farming out of college with 35 acres of walnuts and some pasture land.
They raised hogs, sheep, and cattle, as well as a variety of crops including onions, cucumbers, watermelons, cantalopes, mustard, and pumpkins (all for seed). They also grew dryland grain crops such as oats, barley, and wheat.
Still today, Glenn and Wanda grow walnuts, and some melons and tomatoes for our local produce stand.
Their son, Greg Hawes, runs the Anderson farm store, which sells hay, feed, fertilizer, seed, fencing, and other farm/ranch related supplies.